ESU Earth Science Department hosted the 2010 South-central/North-central Geological Society of America meeting in April 2010. See the meeting website for downloadable abstracts
Another ESU Hydrogeology Grad Student Wins National Awards!. Click here to read all about them (see pages 18 and 21).
My Research Interests:
My interests span the fields of hydrogeology and geochemistry
and currently focus on problems in groundwater and surface water chemistry.
My background includes both research and professional experience
in these areas, and has helped shape the field-oriented program offered at ESU.
My most recent research emphasizes the development of new approaches for high-resolution
characterization of unconsolidated aquifers. Tools developed in this emphasis
are based on direct-push
technology, and can provide details about the stratigraphic controls on
groundwater flow and solute transport at a scale of measurement that is not
possible with conventional drilling-based approaches. Ongoing research
in alluvial aquifers demonstrates the capabilities of the new approaches, and
includes examination of recharge at floodplain-terrace
and at stream-aquifer
interfaces. The new tools are extremely relevant for environmental site characterization
projects and the design of remediation strategies at contaminated sites. New
research projects exploit the high-resolution capabilities of these approaches
in a contaminated aquifer,and are currently taking shape at ESU's
emerging experimental field testing facility.
Courses I Teach at ESU:
My Work Experience as a Hydrogeologist:
Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment, Bureau of Environmental
Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources (now Michigan Dept. of Environmental Quality), Superfund Section, 1990-1991
Illinois State Water Survey, Groundwater Section, 1986-1989
My Work Experience as an Educator:
Other Professional Affiliations:
Publications and Reports:
- Adjunct Professor, Washburn University, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Summer, 2003
- Instructor, University of Kansas, Department of Education, Math and Science Center (Trio Program), Summer, 1997
- Park Ranger, U.S. National Park Service, Cedar Breaks National Monument, UT, Summer, 1985 (students, look here for Student Conservation Association info)
- Schulmeister, M.K., J.M. Healey, J.J. Butler, Jr. and G.W. McCall
(2004) Direct-push geochemical profiling for assessment of inorganic chemical heterogeneity in aquifers. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, v. 69, no 3-4, p 215-232. abstract
- Schulmeister, M.K., J.J. Butler Jr., J.M. Healey, L. Zheng, E.K. Franseen
and D.A. Wysocki (2004) High-resolution stratigraphic characterization of
unconsolidated deposits using direct-push electrical conductivity logging:
A floodplain margin example. In: Concepts in Hydrogeology and Environmental
Geology series, v. 2, Aquifer Characterization (D. Hyndman and J. Bridge,
eds.) Society of Economic and Petroleum Geologists.
- Schulmeister, M.K., J.M. Healey, G.W. McCall, S.M Birk and J.J. Butler, Jr.
(2003) High-resolution chemical characterization of an alluvial aquifer. In:
Modelcare 2002: Calibration and reliability in groundwater modelling: A few
steps closer to reality (K. Kovar and Z. Hzkal, eds.), IAHS Publication 277,
Wallingford, UK: International Association of Hydrological Sciences. p. 419-423.
- Schulmeister, M.K., J.J. Butler, Jr., J.M. Healey, L. Zheng, D.A.Wysocki and G.W. McCall (2003) Direct-push electrical conductivity for high-resolution hydrostratigraphic characterization. Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation v. 23, no. 3, p. 52-63. pdf version.
- Butler, J.J., Jr., J.M.Healey, L. Zheng, W. McCall and M.K. Schulmeister (1999) Hydrostratigraphic characterization of
unconsolidated alluvial deposits with direct-push sensor technology, Kansas Geological Survey Open-File Report 99-40, 30 p. (also
available in an electronic form at: //www.kgs.ku.edu/Hydro/Publications/OFR99_40/index.html).
- Macpherson G.L. and M.K. Schulmeister (1994) Sources, fate and residence time of nitrate at two sites in Kansas: A comparison
of carbonate and alluvial Aquifers. Kansas Water Resources Research Institute, Rpt# G2020-08, 81 p.
- Shafer J.M., H.A. Wehrmann, M.K. Schulmeister, and S. Schock
(1988) A plan for the comprehensive evaluation of the occurrence,transport and fate of groundwater contaminants in the Lake Calumet
area of southeast Chicago. Illinois Hazardous Waste Research and
Information Center, Technical Notes #88-101.
- Visocky A.P. and M.K. Schulmeister (1988) Groundwater
Investigations for siting the Superconducting, Super Collider in
northeastern Illinois. Illinois State Water Survey Circular #170, 80 p.ISWS Pubs.
Presentations and Peer-reviewed Abstracts (*denotes M.S. or undergraduate student):
- Langenheim R.L. and M.K. Schulmeister (1987) Virgin River
Gorge: Boundary between the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin in
Northwestern Arizona. In Geological Society of America Centennial
Field Guide 8 Cordilleran Section (M.L. Hill, ed.) p. 43-47.
- *Zhang L., Y. *Shi, L. Yuping, M. K. Schulmeister and L. Zheng (2006) Direct-push Electrical Conductivity Profiling for Soil Lithology in a
Thick Vadose Zone, American Geophysical Union Western Pacific meeting, Beijing, China, July 24-27, 2006
- *Barnett, K.E., J.S. *Musgrove, M.K. Schulmeister, J.S. Aber and S.W. Aber (2006) High-resolution Characterization of the Neosho River Alluvium: A combined Geophysical and Geospatial Analysis,Emporia State University, Research and Creativity Forum, April 13, 2006, Emporia, Ks ( Winner, Best Collaborative Poster Award)
- Schulmeister, M.K., *Hess, A.L., Pelayo, A., Evanson, T.A., Bahr, J.M. Greve, R., Hall, D.W. and Rauman, J.M. (2005) A direct-push-based geochemical assessment of natural attenuation at a former BTEX-spill site, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 37, No. 7, p. x (also available at http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/abstract_94706.htm)
- *Pfaff, L.J., Schulmeister, M.K., Cronin and A. Smith (2005) Late Quaternary ostracodes as indicators of salinity conditions and paleohydrology in a mid-continent wetland: Cheyenne Bottoms, Kansas. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 37, No. 7, p. x (also available at http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/abstract_95290.htm)
- *Hess, A.L., Schulmeister, M.K., McCall, G.W, and L. Larsen (2005) A simplifed, direct-push approach for geochemical profiling of contaminated ground-water sites. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, Vol. 37, No. 7, p. x (also available at http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005AM/finalprogram/abstract_95115.htm).
- *Sedlacek, C., Reimus, P., Schulmeister, M. and D. Ware (2005) Multiple permeable reactive barriers: batch desorption five years later. 2005 New Mexico Water Research Symposium Advances in Hydrology: Methods and Instruments, August 16, 2005, Socorro, NM. (also presented at Symposium 2005: Championing Scientific Careers, Los Alamos National Laboratory, August 1-2, 2005)
- Schulmeister, M.K. (2005) Electrical Conductivity Characterization of a Thick Unsaturated Zone: Two years of research on the North China Plain. A Mini-symposium on North China Plain Ground-water Dynamics and Sustainable Management, Shijiazhuang, China, July 27, 2005 (INVITED).
- Schulmeister, M.K., Sleezer R., and R.D. Ferguson (2005) ESUís On-campus Hydrogeologic Testing Site: A Multi-use Facility for Teaching and Research in Hydrogeology. National Ground Water Association Ground Water Summit, San Antonio, Tx, April, 2005. Proceedings , vol. 1, p 12.
- *Patenaude, N., Schulmeister, M.K. and A.L. *Hess (2005) A Protocol for Decontamination of a Mechanical Bladder Pump. ESU, Sigma Xi Undergraduate Research Forum, Emporia, Ks., April, 28, 2005, Emporia, Ks.
- *Hess, A.L, Schulmeister, M.K. and B. Love (2005) A new, direct-push-based approach for on-site assessment of redox conditions in contaminated aquifers, National Ground Water Association Ground Water Summit, San Antonio, Tx, April, 2005. Proceedings Vol 1, p 315. (winner, Best Student Poster Award)
- *Hess, A.L., M.K. Schulmeister, and Bruce Love (2005) Development of a new, direct-push-based approach for on-site assessment of ground-water redox conditions in the Neosho River floodplain aquifer. Emporia State University, Research and Creativity Forum, April 14, 2005., Emporia, Ks.
- Schulmeister, M.K, (2004) Water Resource Investigations in Eastern China, Association of University Women, Current Research Seminar, October, 2004, Emporia, Ks (INVITED).
- Schulmeister, M.K. (2004) Water resources in Eastern China and Western Kansas: Summer Research, 2004. Emporia State University Graduate College Seminar, Sept. 29, 2004, Emporia, Ks. (INVITED).
- Schulmeister M.K. (2004) Characterization of thick unsaturated sediments with Electrical Conductivity Logging: and its application in Water Resource Management of High Plains and North China Plain Aquifer Systems. Chinese Academy of Science Rresearch Symposium, Shijiazhuang, China (INVITED).
- Schulmeister, M.K. (2003) Hydrostratigraphic controls on groundwater contamination near the margin of a typical mid-western floodplain. 37th Ann. Meeting Geological Society of America North-central Section, Kansas City, Ks; Abst. with Prog. v. 35, no. 2., p. 15.(abstract available at: http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2003NC/finalprogram/abstract_50089.htm
- Schulmeister M.K. (2002) High-resolution characterization of an
alluvial aquifer. Center for Applied Geoscience Forschungsseminar,
University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany (INVITED).
- Schulmeister M.K., J.M. Healey, G.W. McCall, Birk, S.M., and J.J.
Butler, Jr. (2002) High-resolution characterization of an alluvial
aquifer. Proc. Modelcare 2002: Calibration and reliability in
groundwater modeling, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Schulmeister M.K., J.J. Butler, Jr. and J.M. Healey (2002) A new,
integrative approach to the assessment of chemical heterogeneity in
groundwater, 11th Annual AIH/AEG Kansas Hydrology Seminar, Topeka, Ks.
- Butler, J.J. Jr., J.M. Healey, M.K. Schulmeister, and D.O.
Whittemore (2002) Multi-scale Assessment of Stream-aquifer
interactions during a peak flow event. Association of Groundwater
Scientists and Engineers Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nv.
Butler, J.J., Jr., J.M. Healey, and M.K. Schulmeister (2002) Direct-push technology for hydrogeologic investigations (2002) Annual Convention of the Kansas Ground Water Association, January 16, 2002, Great Bend, Ks. (INVITED).
- Schulmeister, M.K., J.J. Butler, Jr., D.O. Whittemore, S. Birk,
J.M. Healey, G.W. McCall., S.M. Sellwood and M.A. Townsend (2001) A
new direct-push-based approach for the chemical investigation of
stream-aquifer interactions. Geol. Soc. of Am. Abst. with Prog. v. 33,
no. 6, p. 426. (abstract available at: gsa.confex.com/gsa/2001AM/finalprogram/abstract_26024.htm"
- Schulmeister, M.K., S.M. Birk, J.M. Healey, J.J. Butler, Jr. ,
D.O. Whittemore and H. Weiss (2001) Direct-push-installed,
gas-driven mini-pumps for discrete-point groundwater sampling: A new
in-situ approach to long-term monitoring. Eos v. 82, no. 47, p.
- Butler, J.J., Jr., Healey, J.M., Schulmeister, M.K., and Zheng,
L. (2001) A field assessment of direct-push technology for site
characterization investigations, Proc. 18th Annual Water and
the Future of Kansas Conf., p. 21. (abstract available at: www.kgs.ukans.edu/Hydro/DirectPush/Abstracts/Future_2001.html)
- Butler, J., Franseen, E. , Jianghai X., Schulmeister, M., Zheng ,
L, Weis, T, Bynes, A, Healey, J., and Miller, R. (2000). Experimental
assessment of the utility of direct-push profiling and ground-penetrating radar for hydrostratigraphic investigations. Soc. Econ. Pet. Min/Int. Assc. Sed., Prog. and Absts., p. 26.
- Schulmeister, M.K , L. Zheng, J.J. Butler, J.M. Healey, G.W.
McCall and D. Wysocki (2000) Detailed hydrostratigraphic
characterization with direct-push electrical conductivity (EC)
profiling. AGU Eos, Suppl., v. 81, no. 19, p. S238.
- Schulmeister M.K. (1996) Nitrate reduction, hydrology, and
chemical evolution of groundwater in fine-grained alluvial sediments.
Proc. Geol. Soc. of Am. Ann. meeting, v. 28, no. 7, p. 258.
- Schulmeister M.K. and G.L. Macpherson (1994) Spatial and
temporal variations in *15N of NO3- N-preliminary evaluation of an
alluvial aquifer in Kansas, USA. Proc. Geol. Soc. of Am. Ann. meeting,
v. 26, no. 6, p. 23.
- Singogo W., W.K. Dodds, C.W. Rice, M.K. Schulmeister and G. L.
Macpherson (1995) Ground water physical and chemical patterns in an
agricultural and a prairie Ecosystem. Proc. 12th. Ann. Water and the
Future of Kansas Conf., Manhattan, Ks.
- Schulmeister M.K. (1994) The origin of naturally occurring
nitrate in soil and ground water--A preliminary report. Proc. 6th Ann.
Konza Prairie Workshop, Manhattan, Ks. 33 p.